Day 45 When Did Jack Do THAT?!

Today we continued our reading/listening/planning activities with Jack and the Beanstalk. To model what I thought were some of the important events in the story without coming right out and telling them, "I think you should include this...", I decided to create a PowerPoint slide with the numbers 1-8 down the left side and 8 events on the right side. I created each event in its own textbox so the kids would be able to drag and drop each one into a new position, and of course, mixed them up well before sending it to them.
When they went to Today's Jobs, they were told a new assignment awaited them in their Edmodo account. Here's what they saw when they got there:
[caption id="attachment_306" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Day 45 Edmodo Directions"]Day 45 Edmodo Directions[/caption]
I love Edmodo's Assignment tool because once the kids complete the activity, all they have to do is click "Turn In" under the assignment and submit their work to me. When I click "Turned In" as the teacher, it displays all my kids on one page and the words "NOT TURNED IN" or "NOT GRADED" (which turns to "GRADED" once I assess it) so I know exactly what each child has completed. This feature also sends a message to the child with the grade I've given on the assignment! So Cool!
After completing this sequencing activity the kids continued the work they have begun using one of the neatest tools we've "played with" yet! Story Creator is a wonderful free site that allows you to register your school (unless you want to save all your kids' work in your personal account - a pain because you continually have to enter your password for them to access their work) and your kids can create myth and legend comic strips. The site is jam-packed with backgrounds, objects, characters, speech/thought bubbles, animations, and really neat editing tools. The kids are using their main event templates to create what Story Creator calls "Chapters". Oh my goodness...the creativity that is emerging gives me chills! Please check back on my next post and I will provide a link where you can see what they've done with Jack and the Beanstalk. Magic Beans for sure!
[caption id="attachment_307" align="aligncenter" width="200" caption="Magic at the Cove!"]Magic at the Cove![/caption]
Photo Credit: Munkin's Photostream via Flickr
0 Responses