Day 24 - Reading Workshop

As many of you know, I've been struggling to feel comfortable with my language arts program this year. I think I'm finally getting to a point where I'm using strategies that match my beliefs about what is important in a literacy program while still preparing my kids for the all-important End of Grade test.
I am very thankful for Laura Candler's newsletters and wonderful site. Having used Accelerated Reader as the backbone of her reading program (just as we do at my school), this year she has given it up for other foundational experiences for her kids. Her transition has been perfect timing for me, since I have never really loved AR either!
After reading about her use of Reader's Workshop, and exploring other wonderful sites like that of Mandy Gregory which also provide support for using Reader's Workshop, I decided to give it a try!
Today I taught my first mini-lesson (using the picture book The Rough-Faced Girl by Rafe Martin) on WOW pages. My kids were so engaged and excited to use their sticky notes to find their own WOW pages, I was amazed!
Tomorrow we will work on using the notes from our WOW stickies to write some reactions on our reading wiki pages.
Between our Comprehension Krill, Spelling Tic-Tac-Toe, Literature Circle Groups, and the Reader's Workshop mini-lessons, I am hoping all the great ingredients are coming together for a powerful literacy program!
3 Responses
  1. Kelly Hines Says:

    I love how you are taking your reflections and experiences to your blog! Thanks for sharing!


  2. I forgot to tell you that I met an author in Baltimore airport that I convinced to Skype with a classroom if I bought her book. It's a read aloud about a Dragon that doesn't fit in with other dragons. I thought it was a cute little book. I know your kids would like it. I'll get it to you as soon as our counselors are finished with it.


  3. Kim Collazo Says:

    That would be wonderful! My kids would love the book and the opportunity to Skype with an author! Thanks for thinking of us.